Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 3 ~ Change to the Homeless


In our town (and maybe yours too) there are people who stand at street junctions asking for money.

Some are individuals, often with a handwritten, cardboard sign letting drivers know they are 'out of work', 'hungry', 'broke', etc. Some even say 'I'm not going to lie. Need $$ for beer.' I don't usually give them money but I have been known to hand them fruit, chips, even a homemade peanut butter sandwich once.

There are also group collections, for exmaple, from the local Fire Department collecting for children; from the Homeless Voice for the homeless; and from teens collecting for new sports team uniforms (hmm, maybe). Again, because I don't really know how the money is being distributed, or whether the advertized recipient will actually recieve my couple of bucks, I usually don't donate anything.

Well, I was stopped at a red light, at a major junction and a gentleman came walking between the cars with his plastic container, which had a faded sign from Homeless Voice asking for donations (also in Spanish). My usual reaction would be to look ahead and not make eye contact, but instead I wound down the window and handed over all the loose change I had. Not much, but, it was something.

The point of this, for me, was to accept that I have enough, so why not give some away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment